Cleaning Granite Countertops: A Step By Step Guide
So you have your beautiful new granite kitchen countertops, but how can you keep them looking new and shiny for years to come? Even some of the strongest materials around need care from time to time, and granite kitchen countertops are no exception. In this post we look at some of the most common and suggested practices for cleaning and maintaining your granite countertops.
Prolonging your countertops:
Careful and regular cleaning will prolong the life and shine of your granite worktops. To avoid discolouration, prepare all meals on a chopping board and use trivets for hot pans. Using coasters under all glasses and cups will also help to prevent stains on your granite worktops. Whilst granite is a very durable and scratch resistant stone, if it does scratch, it is best to have it repaired by a professional.
- Make sure your granite worktops have been sealed thoroughly in order to avoid oils, spills or stains soaking into the work surfaces. To check whether your granite worktop has been sealed, leave a few drops of water on the surface. If the water soaks into the granite after a few minutes then it may be time to reseal the stone.
- Wipe up any spills as soon as they are noticed, particularly if they are alcoholic, acidic or hot oily liquids.
- When cleaning your worktops use warm water, a mild dishwashing liquid and a microfibre cloth.
- Don’t use harsh or abrasive cloths. Whilst granite is a highly durable material it is still possible to scratch the surface if you are not careful.
- Avoid using acidic cleaning products such as vinegar or chemical products such as bleach and ammonia as these can damage the colour of your stone.
- Avoid leaving fresh fruit or alcohol based products on your worktops for long periods of time as this can etch and dull the stone.
The cleaning process:
In high traffic areas such as the kitchen, wiping down your granite worktops on a daily basis can help prevent stubborn stains, and maintain the natural beauty and shine of the stone. Cleaning your worktops is easy, simply follow these steps:
- Fill your sink with warm water and add a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid, then thoroughly wet a clean dish cloth
- Wipe down your worktops thoroughly.
- Using a microfibre cloth or soft towel, dry and buff your granite worktops in order to avoid streaking.
- Shine and disinfect your worktops with a water and isopropyl alcohol solution. Mix together a 50:50 solution of water and 91% isopropyl alcohol into a spray bottle. Spray onto the granite surface and allow to sit for 5 minutes, then rinse with water and wipe down with a clean microfibre cloth. This will remove excess soapy water and periodically disinfect your granite worktops, restoring their natural shine.
- Enjoy the look of your lovely, clean worktops
Tsianfan industry has a team dedicated to providing you with the most cost effective solutions for design and manufacturing marble sample boards,stone sample case and other stone sample packing products.More info ,please click our website:stonepackingcase.com